HEADER BLOG TITLE

25/07/2013

What a nerve!

Bonjour! April 2012 I endured a couple of hours micro surgery on my ulnar nerve to reposition it after it was compressed and damaged due to an old bicycle accident, years of elbow abuse in front of a pottery wheel, years of computer work and finally some crazy crocheting. I spent a good few weeks in a cast which proved to be a real challenge given the tropical heat and humidity that came along with living in Malaysia.


Left to right: Straight after surgery; after the second injury back into a cast; lastly the show must go on, arm at that time still unhappy. 


The operation was a huge success and then . . . . . I did something very, very stupid. I picked up a heavy 20 liter water bottle to change the empty one on the dispenser (at the time the husband was working in Mumbai with the kids and I based in Penang, me driving an automatic vehicle with one arm and us having food delivered to the villa every day).  

I hurt myself and put my arm straight back into a cast for the next 6 weeks grrrrr.  By the time we stepped foot in South Africa, I could not even put my fingers in my own mouth due to a frozen shoulder, torn muscle and so forth. (Imagine the stress of arranging first our move to Mumbai, then at the last minute our move to South Africa with only the availability of one arm.) 

The kids dressed me, the hairdressers "quiffed" me and visits to the massage parlour kept me sane.  After weeks of intense physio therapy and a shot to treat the resulting bursitis in my upper arm that nearly pushed me over the edge, I picked up a crochet hook and started hooking again! That was about 11 months ago.

I still have only 90-95% feeling in the left side of the left hand and keep on breaking too many glasses and plates at times of weakness, but I hope by the time you are reading this I have overcome my fear of further injury and am para-sailing over the Indian Ocean!  Cheers!




7 comments:

  1. Oh dear, that sounds very nasty...

    Something else: I really (really) like your dress - a lot (And the shoes!)

    Have a terrific, para-sailing time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - the frock is from Japan and the shoes an old Dubai pick up from some or the other store.

      Delete
  2. That doesn't sound good. Best wishes for you, I hope for the best and a fab para-sailing time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah parasailing in Mauritius is from the back of a boat whereas in Malaysia it is done from the beach - no arm worries in Mauritius!

      Delete
  3. Oh no! Ouchies! I cannot believe that you had the same surgery I had years ago - basically a re-wiring of your arm. You are very courageous. The memory of that nasty nerve pain is still fresh even though it was 10 years ago now for me. I do hope any remaining pain or discomfort has settled and that you can re-gain your feeling and strength so you can "carry coffee cups with confidence".

    It is fantastic that you can crochet again after all of that trauma. Be extra careful with your crocheting - I was told that if the nerves get injured again, there is nothing more to be done and that will be it. Too much repetitive activities (like crochet) can finish it off - a warning to other crocheters who may be experiencing tingling or pain in wrists or elbows to stop and rest.

    Good news is that now I have full function again so I wish that outcome upon you too. Take care para-sailing, you brave thing, and have fun!





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will you believe it Jodie! I will also urge hookers never to ignore tingles - this is not the time to stay calm and crochet on. I am taking a month break from hooking just to make sure that I don't look for trouble. I would love to hook with hemp, but I know that will be looking for trouble.

      Delete